Date: April 14, 2018 (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Location: Peachtree Rd UMC (3180 Peachtree Rd, Atlanta, GA 30305, Grace Hall)
Participants: Clergy, Scout Leaders, Scout Coordinators (CORs) and Lay Leaders.
The UMAS is an adult training conference for Clergy, Boy Scout & Girl Scout leaders and church lay leaders interested in leveraging Scouts as an Outreach Ministry of their church, and in building Duty-to-God into their Scout programs. It is also designed for Clergy and lay leaders interested in starting a Scout program (Boy Scout and Girl Scout) or a Big Brothers Big Sisters program at their church.
Hosted by UMCOS/ Open to Everyone: Although this Academy is conducted by the United Methodist Committee on Scouting, it is open to churches of all faiths and Scout units interested in starting/ expanding Duty-to-God in their areas.
Program: Multiple courses will be offered over 5 periods, including:
- Boy Scouts – Starting a new Unit
- Building Duty-to-God into your Unit Scout Program
- Chaplain Training
- Clergy’s Guide to Scouting in the Methodist Church
- COR Training (Charter Organization Rep)
- Girl Scouts – Starting a new Troop
- P.R.A.Y. Programs: (1) Organizing a Program (2) Conducting a Program
- Scout’s Own Services
- Scout Sunday Observances
- Volunteer Recognition (within the church)
- YPT and Safe Sanctuary Discussion
Cost: $0 (Free). Includes patch. Donations accepted to provide P.R.A.Y. scholarships for Packs, Troops and Churches.
- Lunch available (Chick-Fil-A meal) ($6)
- Polo Shirts ($15)
Questions: Yolanda Wareham, Academy Director (UMAScout@yahoo.com)